Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Flaked Coconut Jujube Balls

Until this past Sunday, the only Jujubes I'd ever heard of were the ones in the glass counter at the movie theater. Apparently they are a fruit, most common in Persian, Indian, and east Asian cuisine.  For some reason they showed up at the local farmers' market in Tucson for 15/$1. I was intrigued and paid the dollar to satisfy my curiosity.

To a simple jujube-newbie (say that five times fast!) like myself, a jujube is basically a mini apple. I decided to add some complementary flavors from my cupboard and came up with this delightful and easy to make snack.

If you don't run into a jujube, apples would be an appropriate substitute, and a great way to trick your friends and family into eating fruit. I think they make a cute bite-sized gift as well.

Flaked Coconut Jujube Balls

yields about one dozen 1-inch balls

15 jujubes, cored and chopped
1/4 cup slivered almonds (whole or slivered)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 flaked coconut

Pulse jujubes, almonds, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a food processor until a paste forms. Transfer paste to a cool surface and roll into 1-inch balls.

Roll balls in flaked coconut. Can be stored in refrigerator up to two days.


Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Okay MCass, what kind of food processor do you have? I am poor, but it is a coveted kitchen item for me. Also, I don't have a dishwasher, so I'm hoping to get one that's easy to clean. Any advice?

    PS Thanks for the fragrance recommendation from a million years ago. I just saw that comment the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Claire! I have an outdated 7-cup Cuisinart food processor. I see food processors on sale (many still in the box, or so they claim...) on craigslist frequently for ~ $30. A new one from Cuisinart or Kitchenaid is anywhere from ~ $80-$150, depending on the model. However, it's the kind of thing that will pretty much last forever, barring natural disasters, so it's worth it in a sense. I find it the most useful for making dough (pizza, pie, bread).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat! I've never seen Jujube, but i will keep my eye open. They are kind of cute...
    Oh, and your balls look wonderful. I recently made chocolate date truffles rolled in coconut-delicious! I might have try this, as raw food are nice (smile)...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My father has just brought us home-grown jujube this week. I've never heard of this fruit before, so I'm thrilled to have found your recipe! I assume by ''1/4 flaked coconut'' you meant 1/4 cup?

    ReplyDelete

What's Hot This Week?