Sunday, January 22, 2012

Blackberry Pear Upside-Down Cake

Apparently, there is a second blackberry season that nobody ever told me about, because they are practically giving away blackberries for free at the grocery stores around here. This is good news for you and me - more blackberry recipes!


My mom often makes this cake with raspberries, so I thought I'd give it a go with blackberries and pears. The result is winning. I left this pretty little thing out on the counter and my roommates ate almost all of it within 24 hours. This cake can be made with any fruit, but this combination won't let you (upside) down. Bon Appétit! 




Blackberry Pear Upside-Down Cake
adapted from Gourmet

yields one 8 inch cake

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups fresh blackberries
3 pears, sliced lengthwise
1/2 cup + 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup well-shaken buttermilk

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400°F.

Line bottom of a buttered 8- by 2-inch round cake pan with 2 rounds of parchment paper, then butter parchment. Dust pan with some flour, knocking out excess.

Arrange pears, and then blackberries in 1 layer in cake pan. Sprinkle berries with 11/2 tablespoons sugar.

Whisk together 1 cup flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Beat together butter and remaining 1/2 cup sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg, vanilla, and cinnamon and mix at low speed until just incorporated. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk in 3 batches, mixing at low speed until just incorporated.

Spoon batter evenly over berries, smoothing top, and bake in middle of oven until top is golden and a tester comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.

Run a thin knife around edge of pan, then invert a large plate over pan and, using pot holders to hold plate and pan together tightly, flip cake onto plate. Peel off parchment and serve cake. 

Enjoy.

Pin It

11 comments:

  1. This cake looks fantastic! I love the flavour combinations and how perfect it seems for a tea party. Glad to have found your blog :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Nutella Creme Brulee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how the layers come together in this cake. Also, the blend of the fruit is very complimentary. Definitely worth a try for a brunch get together. Delicious post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This cake looks great! I love the combo of blackberry and pear =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing cake! I love that you layered more than one fruit, when it comes to fruit the more the merrier!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so want to make this. I am not a huge cake person unless it has of my favorite fruits baked right in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blackberries and pears sounds like a wonderful combination!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a beautiful combination, such a wonderful recipe. A winter version of the classic upside down cake great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks absolutely divine! What wonderful colour! LinsFood xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this looks so delicious! The color is just gorgeous, it's such a beautiful cake! And pears and blackberries sound like a great combination. This would definitely be gone in 24 hours if it was in my house too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, probably our entry may be off topic but anyways, I have been surfing around your blog and it looks very professional.

    It’s obvious you know your topic and you appear fervent about it. I’m developing a fresh blog plus I’m struggling to make it look good,
    as well as offer the best quality content. I have learned much at your web site and also I anticipate alot more articles and will be coming back soon. Thanks you.


    Blackberry Developer

    ReplyDelete

What's Hot This Week?